Planning a Vacation

I don't know about you but I have a bit of spring fever. My remedy: plan a vacation! I love to travel and plan trips. Day trips, weekend getaways or even longer vacations, sometimes I am just as excited planning the trip as I am going on the trip. When I'm out of town, and we're tired and hungry and looking for somewhere to eat, I'm glad I did all the prep-work. Also, it comes in handy when you're trying to plan a trip and save money. So I thought I would share some of my money-saving vacation-planning tips to help you plan your upcoming adventures, wherever they take you.

  1. Budget - Think about what you're willing to spend on and what you want to save on. 
    • travel - I, personally, would rather drive just about any time over flying. And I love flying. But, with the time and money involved in flying, I don't see it as worth it. When driving, I can see more sights and pack more. If you're concerned about gas prices, you can consider renting a car that gets better gas-mileage than what you usually drive. There are also bus and train options, if you're up for that. 
    • food - we all have been told that, especially for families, it's cheaper to make food than buy your meals. I try to go ahead and plan my meals for the vacation. I also aim to reserve an efficiency or other room that has a fridge, microwave and other amenities. Plan to go out to eat some but plan some meals that you can make. Especially things like breakfast and lunch. I will even do whatever prep I can do at home to make it easier. Like my pancake mix or spice mix, any dry ingredients at home I can put together in a container to make it easier. Just take what you need, not your whole kitchen. Also remember to plan and bring road snacks!
    • lodging - there are so many options in lodging. You could go real cheap and camp, or many parks have cabins. There are Bed & Breakfasts, hotels, motels, condos, or rental homes/AirBNB places. Depending on your situation, any of these could be a cheap option. If staying in a B&B or hotel/motel, I think an included breakfast is a must-have. Some will even give you a to-go breakfast if you have to get on the road. 
    • activities - some people love to stay busy on vacation, some just want to sit and relax. If you like to stay active, many times that's going to cost some extra money. But if you do your research you can usually find some cheaper or free activities as well. 
    • travel dates - check and see what peak and off-peak times are for where you want to go. If you have a flexible travel time, you can really save money this way. BUT be sure to check and make sure restaurants and your activities are open. Some popular vacation spots will close their business during the off-season. One time, I saw a room at a high-end resort for $99 a night because it was their off-season.
  2. Web help - use all the web's resources to your advantage
    • One of the first sites I usually find are the local "Convention and Visitors Bureau" (CVB) or tourism websites. They usually have all kinds of information for you. You may have to weed through some pages to find the good stuff but it's a good place to start. I like to find out what kind of events are going on in the area while I'm there. Sometimes there are free events that can be fun. Also, I use this to plan - like if there's a large event in the area while I'm there that I want to avoid. Many visitors sites now also have tips from locals that can be helpful finding good places to eat and visit. 
    • travel savings sites - my personal favorite is Travelzoo. I usually go for the deals from the hotel itself, I'm wary of 3rd party groups selling things. I also use google maps to find all kinds of places, like hotels, restaurants, coffee, directions, etc. One thing too that is good to know: in some larger cities, it's cheaper to get a hotel on the weekend than the weekday because of people who are traveling for work. And don't forget to read the reviews! I try to stay skeptical about reviews but they are good to look over and see if you should avoid certain places. I even use the "street views" on maps to check out the area of the hotel, if I'm skeptical of the great deal I'm getting. 
    • compare as much as possible. Especially for things like activities. I found one place that offers a "happy hour" rate for kayaks if you rent them after 2 pm. Or it may save you money to rent a bike for a whole week rather than each day. 
    • social media - use your friends. Ask around and find people who have been where you're going or that live there. Get their tips or advice. Reviews you can trust. 
    • search for free activities or 'hidden gems' on the web. Things like garden walks, free museum days, parks or cultural events.
  3. Other tips:
    • Be sure to have some back-up plans. Games, puzzles or movies for a rainy day (or if everyone's sunburned!). Or food/restaurant back up ideas. 
    • I sometimes even have some back-up hotel ideas. Like for a long road trip, if we decide we need to stop overnight, I have some phone numbers to call in-case we need a room. That way I already did the research on prices and I won't get stuck blowing the budget on an unplanned hotel. 
    • Know where grocery stores and pharmacies are located. You may save some money and have a better grocery selection by driving a little bit further. And the pharmacy - well you never know when you may need something!
    • I usually like to make up some trip papers, or even a notebook for bigger trips. I compile all the needed information - reservation info, restaurant info (website, hours, phone numbers), directions, addresses, activity contact info. I know many have computers or phones that you use for this but you never know when the place you go could have their WIFI out or no cell phone signal. I like to have the backup. 
    • Use your local library! When we go on long road trips and music isn't enough, I like to check out some books on CD from our library. They're free and can really help pass the time. There are all kinds of books on CD out there (and I'm sure they have mp3 or digital download options as well). If your library doesn't have them, you can always stop by a Cracker Barrel, if it's on your way, but theirs cost some money. I also will check out a book or two (or magazines) to read for the trip. 
    • if you're driving, consider taking the back roads. Highways can be fun. There can be interesting scenes along the way, as well as a random road-side attraction. You may not be able to go as fast but you usually have less traffic and it can be a more enjoyable ride. Just keep in mind that there may be long stretches where there aren't many options for stopping or getting gas. Plan ahead for that. Also, I've heard the best speed to get the best gas mileage is 55 mph, which is usually the speed limit on state highways. 
I hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions, comment or leave your own tips! I don't have any kids right now so I have no experience in travelling with children. But I think anyone could benefit from these tips. With some planning you can have a great, cheap, vacation! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle of Rivers Bridge State Historic Site

Charleston Area State Parks

Going Greek